Mornington Peninsula Leader; Chris Tatman, 13th May 2010
PROCEDURES for euthanising animals will be “thoroughly reviewed” after Mornington Peninsula Shire Council rangers put down the wrong dog.
A young Mt Martha couple are grieving the loss of their family pet after he was put down in a mix-up the council has described as a “terrible mistake”.
Laura Clements and Troy Bartling want answers after their microchipped American staffordshire bull terrier’s corpse was returned frozen to them on May 3.
Ms Clements returned home from work on April 29 to find the terrier, called Syphon, gone and a note from a council ranger telling her to phone him.
The pure-bred dog was taken to the pound because his backyard enclosure was inadequate.
Syphon had been declared a dangerous dog after he escaped as a young pup last year and bit another dog.
Ms Clements and Mr Bartling had erected a locked 2m-high cage in their backyard, but had not finished the required roofing and guttering when their pet was impounded.
Four days later they received the devastating phone call.
“They said they had put the wrong dog down,” Ms Clements said.
“They said he was in the fridge and when did we want him dropped down?”
Mr Bartling described Syphon as his best mate and said there was no excuse for the mistake because his pet was microchipped.
“We didn’t get a chance to say goodbye,” he said.
“Our dog was never meant to be put down.
“We want to know what went wrong.”
The council’s environment protection unit acting manager Mark Upton would not say if anyone had been reprimanded.
He said it was premature to make any further comment until a review was finished.