Herald Sun; Kelly Ryan, Nov 23 2010
Classical singer Jessica Yeo gave her Australian bulldog Bella mouth to mouth after her beloved pet ate a bee and went into anaphylactic shock. Picture: David Caird Source: Herald Sun
BEAUTIFUL opera singer Jessica Yeo would do anything for her dog Bella.
Even the kiss of life.
When Bella swallowed a bee and “died” of anaphylactic shock, the first thing Jessica did was faint.
The stunning soprano then pulled herself together and performed mouth-to-snout resuscitation to bring the five-month-old Australian bulldog back to life.
The 27-year-old singer used her powerful lungs to force air down past the dog’s blocked windpipe.
She had to grip Bella’s flapping jowls shut to stop the air escaping.
“I don’t know how I did it, but I knew I wouldn’t let her die,” Yeo said.
“She’s our baby. She means the world to us, so we’d do anything to save her.”
Yeo and partner Eugene Bouchard were enjoying a weekend on the Mornington Peninsula when Bella appeared suddenly sick on Sunday morning.
“Her gums turned white, her tongue turned blue, her eyes rolled back in her head and she stopped breathing and then her heart stopped.”
Mr Bouchard initially began CPR but then told his distressed partner that Bella had gone, there was nothing more they could do.
“But I knew I had to save her so I pulled her tongue free, checked her throat was clear and started breathing deeply down her throat.
“I could tell air was getting to her neck but not going past so I just kept breathing as deeply as I could, while holding her cheeks over mine to stop the air escaping.
“I shoved my head as far down her mouth as I could to make sure the air was getting to the back.
“I suddenly heard a pop sound which the vet later said was probably the noise of her airways opening up.
“Bella suddenly blinked, and she tried to sit up but collapsed again.”
A friend frantically rang 000 for the address of the nearest vet and Mr Bouchard drove the desperately sick dog while Yeo continued to help breathe for her.
After two hours in care, Bella was discharged. Yesterday she was home in South Melbourne. Despite bruises and scratches from Bella’s jaws, Yeo was happy to give her a peck on the head.